Presentations and Speaking
Three (or More) Common Website Mistakes and How to Fix Them
As a digital agency serving nonprofits with ongoing WordPress maintenance and support, we have the opportunity to see a lot of websites. We conduct website audits of many sites and through these audits, have gathered hard data that shows the most common mistakes made on websites. This presentation will not only describe these mistakes but also show you how to fix these mistakes. View the presentation blog post with speaker handouts, notes, and resources.
Beginning SEO for the Nonprofit Organization
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) can be intimidating for many people. But as a nonprofit with so many priorities competing for your time, it is important to prioritize those things that will give your organization the greatest return. In this session, you will learn the top SEO do’s and don’t’s that will make a difference for your organization.
Website Accessibility: Creating Accessible Content
Website Accessibility is more important now than ever before. It is estimated that over a billion people live with a disability. In addition, many website features originally designed for accessibility are now used mainstream. You will learn what to look for in determining if your site is accessible and easy-to-use tools that help you along the way. Accessibility does not have to be intimidating. View the presentation blog post complete with slide deck, speaker notes, and resources.
About the Presenter
A seasoned professional with over 10 years of experience working with WordPress, she has tenaciously embraced the technology sector. In 2010, Carol created Tech Tools, LLC, next she joined forces to found FreeUp Web Studio in 2013, and then took over the operation of RadiateWP in 2016.
Her work also extends to the nonprofit sector with over 14 years of experience in executive roles. Her volunteer contributions include service on the WordCamp organizing team every year since 2012 and leading the ArizonaWordPress Meetup Group since 2011.
Carol has been recognized over the span of her career as President of AzSAE, AzSAE Association Executive of the year, and was featured in the open.film documentary about the WordPress Open Source project.
Lastly, alongside her warm personality, interest to help people, and love for animals; Carol’s resilience and love for learning have been key in her approach to the dynamic world of technology. She embraces change and harnesses new abilities and tools with ease. Carol lives with her husband, two kids, two dogs, and her hedgehog named Poe.
Past Speaking Experience
- March 2022 — Website Accessibility: The Basics – Alliance for Arizona Nonprofits
- August 2021 — Website Accessibility: Creating Accessible Content – Alliance for Arizona Nonprofits
- May 2021 – Top 3 Website Mistakes and How to Fix Them – WA State Annual Nonprofit Conference
- January 2021 – Top 3 Website Mistakes and How to Fix Them – Webinar for the Alliance of AZ Nonprofits
- Nov 2019 – Integrating WordPress into Your Daily Workflow – Custom presentation created for the International Tennis Association/Tempe, AZ
- October 2019 – WordPress Documentation Tips and Tricks – AZ WordPress Meetup Group/Tempe, AZ
- May 2019 – An Overview of the Features of the Divi Theme – AZ WordPress Meetup Group/Tempe, AZ
- November 2018 – Pluginpalooza: A Look at the Most Popular WordPress Plugins – AZ WordPress Meetup/Tempe, AZ
- March 2017 – Documentation Tips and Tricks – Galvanize Co-working Space/Phoenix, AZ
- April 2017 – Demonstration: Design, Develop and Launch a Website Using Divi – AZ WordPress Meetup/Scottsdale, AZ
- February 2017 – Website Needs Analysis: An Interactive Experimental Session – AZ WordPress Meetup/Chander, AZ
- February 2016 – Plugin-palooza: A Look at the Most Widely Used WordPress Plugins – AZ WordPress Meetup/Chandler, AZ
- December 2016 – WordPress Basic Training for Hopi Nation/AZ
- November 2015 – Using Divi Theme to Design Your WordPress Website, AZ WordPress Meetup/Chandler, AZ
- October 2014 – To Tech or Not to Tech: A Discussion – ProBono Week – CoHoots/Phoenix, AZ
- August 2014 – WordPress 101 – City of Chandler/Chandler, AZ
- April 2014 – Hustle: The Lazy Way to get Things Done/Chandler, AZ
- April 2013 – Tips to Make Every Beginning WordPress User a Star – WordCamp/San Diego, CA
- May 2013 – There’s an App for That – Nonprofit Business Summit by Phoenix Biz Journal/Phoenix, AZ
- November 2012 – Setting Up WordPress: A Demo From Genesis Theme Install to Completion – ASU Venture Catalyst presents Techiepalooza 2.0/Scottsdale, AZ
- August 2012 – Introduction to Google Analytics – AZ WordPress Meetup/Chandler, AZ
- August 2012 – Values Auction – An Interactive Session and Discussion on the Importance of Values in Entrepreneurship – Gangplank/Chandler, AZ
- June 2012 – Beginning WordPress Skills – ASU Venture Catalyst presents Techiepalooza/Scottsdale, AZ
- April 2011 – Technology Made Easy for Service Organizations – AZ Zonta Regional Conference Leaders/Chandler, AZ
- May 2011 – Survival Skills for the Digital Age – AZ Society of Association Executives/ Mesa, AZ
- December 2010 – Technology Tools for Social Services – Navajo Nation/AZ
- November 2010 – Technology Tips and Tricks for Social Workers – National Association of Social Workers, AZ Chapter Annual Conference
- March 2010 – Social Media for Associations – AZ Society of Association Executives and AZ Meeting Professionals International/Phoenix, AZ
- April 2010 – Virtual Chapter Operations – National Association of Social Works Annual Leadership Meeting in Washington DC
- November 2009 – Tech Tools to Keep You Moving – AZ Society of Association Executives/Phoenix AZ
- January 2007 – December 2010 – Adjunct Professor ASU School of Social Work – SWU291 Human Service Delivery System
- February 2005 – Leadership Lessons from the Training Hall – American Society of Association Executives/Phoenix, AZ
- August 2000 – Tips and Tricks for Small Staff Association Professionals – American Society of Association Executives Annual Meeting/ Orlando, FL